Saturday, October 11, 2008

Hey, Wise Guys!

CORRECTION HERE! Big mouth (uh, that would be me) needs to shut her piehole and git in the truck.

In my "B. Farmer" 10/07/08 post I incorrectly cited the dollar bill as an example of printing with dots. I should not have used the dollar bill as an example for printing with dots. That's engraving! DUH! What WAS I thinking?

Methods utilizing dots? Offset llithography and inkjet printing. Offset litho lays down dots of cyan, magenta, yellow and black in 4 separate press stages. Inkjet printing applies all four simultaneously. Okay, okaaay... I know. Yeessss! You can, in fact, print just one color if you like OR any number of the combinations, a.k.a. CMYK. Or with what we call "spot colors". Enough of that.

Word of advice. If someone were to try counterfeiting with their desktop printer, they'd likely be paying a visit to their local police station. The FBI is more like it. Some people and I won't name names, have tried that bonehead move. Why would anyone try setting up shop with their desktop printer? Lordy, Lordy. I wonder if the number of those attempts is greater when times are bad, like now? Or is it an equal opportunity bonehead move? Are there stats on this somewhere? Just looked for info about that. One article mentions the FBI's estimate of 100,000 attempts annually. Who knew? Think "Present Day" Barney Fife would catch someone passing fake-o buckaroos? Nah. He'd still be too worried about the bullet in his pocket, I reckon. But he's a fake-o buckaroo too so don't try it, you won't like it.

The real puzzler is how come you guys didn't call me on my dunderhead faux pas? Big Mouth says, "Tsk, tsk." Class dismissed.

FYI: there's no truck in sight so "Big Mouth" hasn't shut her piehole, as you can see. I reserve the right to keep on keepin' on. Insert raucous laughter here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home