Thursday, November 27, 2008

Gratitudes for Generosity

Gobble, gobble or as Mia (the grand-glory) would say, "magbogobmagob". Or something like that... God bless her intelligent tushy. As y'all know, Thanksgiving is not my favorite. Lost my foster Mom that very day. And she would have been so miffed. She never liked "upsetting the apple cart". And try as I might, I still dislike it. Sorry, Mom. But, my honey is still besotted with a day where feeding others is the name of the game. So it ranks right up there with our family. It's Dad/Pop's chance to make artwork of some poultry destined for our table. And he always delivers. Traditionally we try to get the youngest to eat stuffing and sweet potatoes. "Blechh", is the response. And the oldest holds out for a cigar with Pop and Drewski after clarifying what he hates most. Mushrooms or peppers. Why can't I remember that? I, with the other female constants in our nuclear family, are just basically thankful for the men in our lives. (thanks to me - yep, tooting my rusty horn.) Me for the man I love - Amy for hers and Lindsay for hers. Others enter into the scheme of things too. Most recent for me? My niece. And her hubby too. Thank you for your hospitality. I have never slept so soundly at someone else's house in my entire life. Not even her Mom's. And she is so important to me that it truly hurts.

Giving thanks is not ever a burden nor a problem. So many things belong on the pro side of life's lists. Here's to thanking those we treasure and those we've treasured in the past. The paintbrush of life is written in experiences too numerous to mention. Thanks to the baby girl I wish were mine, that niece. Thanks to her Mom, the best there is. Thanks to my man who never stops stewing about the people he loves and who considers stewing over the stove a pleasure to savor. A privilege, really. Thanks to my boys who have brought me more joy in any of their days than all their days of trials put together could hamper. Thanks to God for giving us all, not just artists, something to marvel over. When my sweetie pronounced, "Come see, there's a beautiful scene out the back window" - I knew it must be true. Crisp air, frosted beauty, sunshine oozing over everything in site. He was right, 'cha know.

God bless everyone and - oh yes, here's to watching "It's a Wonderful Life". After all, the mark of a life well lived is the traditions that bring us back to roost. Gobble, gobble. You want the moon, Johnny? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it. And here's to Momma Dollar and Poppa Dollar in our troubled times. 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1. Happy Thanksgiving, everybody. "Magbogobmagob."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home